Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Please keep all body parts inside the bus and when we get off remain single file.


Tour time! These are the best photos I could get without "compromising security". Per the last photo show this will be from my bunk out:

This is my new living area.The top bunk is mine as well as the left half of that cabinet:


 These are a couple of shots of the outside of the tent/housing area. They're still dangling that CHU (containerized housing unit) carrot in front of our noses to keep morale up...not sure how well that's working. A month ago it was going to be in a month. As of yesterday...it should only be about a month away. It's like those "free beer tomorrow" signs I think. Anyway:




This is a closer pic of the fence that separates me from Pakistan. I was hoping to actually get a pic of the city that's a few miles out but, as you can see, I was unsuccessful:

This is my friend Blimpy Boy. Normally he'd be flying in the sky so fancy free but I guess he was in for maintenance today. On a side note, Pakistan was having many small dust storms today. Those pillar-ish things to the left are some of them:

This is one of the bigger tents. Not really part of my normal day but they're kind of interesting...I guess. This particular one belongs to motor pool (don't ask if they have motor beach balls or motor water noodles...they don't like that):

Up next is the DFAC. Sorry for the fuzziness/vasoiness of the inside pic. I had several drinks in my hand and almost dropped the camera:




These next few pics are of all our entertainment! I know you're excited about this. The building on the right in the first pic is what the military so lovingly call the "hadji store" (aka, it's run by the locals). This is the only place on base to buy things like cigarettes, electronics, and cheesy souvenirs (anybody want a scorpion encased in clear acrylic?). The building to the left of that is the coffee shop. The tent to the left of that is the gym and the mwr is right next to it and identical in looks. The second photo is our world class basketball court and volleyball court. You may recognize the basketball court from the recent games that were featured on TV where the Dallas Maverics won the title. That's right, I had court side seats.


Up next we have the amazingly versatile building that serves as both post office and PX. The PX is the right side and PO is the left. That big blue shipping container on the left is where I have to go 3 days a week to pick up the mail for my company.


Our next stop is the place I spend the 2nd largest portion of my time. 40 hours a week I "work" in this building. On the second pic you'll see a gray-haired man on the right. That's my coworker, Pete. Pete is either insane or hates his family because this is his 7th consecutive contract with this company. Although, in defense of Pete's sanity, he showed me pictures of the base in Iraq where he spent 5 of those years and it had all these crazy things like...oh...what are they called....oh yeah: trees and large bodies of water and animals that don't look like they could kill you buy looking at you:



Up next is the med station. This is where I spent about 4 hours of my first day here. Several EKGs, urine samples, vital checks, IV bags (took 4 sticks and 3 people to hit a vein, that was fun), throat cultures, etc later they gave me some aspirin and told me to get some rest.


This is the fire department. I know nothing of what goes on in there but I suspect they are even more bored than I am. I haven't gone in there yet but supposedly they sell t-shirts. I was told to talk to someone called Optimus Rhyme. I have no idea if he's THE Optimus Rhyme or not, but I'll find out one day.


And last but certainly not least we have the water station! People have been asking me if water is available enough to stay hydrated. Well, these things are everywhere on base and it's all free. Just walk up and get as much as you want/can carry and walk off...very nonchalantly...just like nothing was wrong...



That about wraps it up...that's everything I have at my disposal at this point. I can sense your jealousy through the toobz so don't even try to cover it up. What can I say? It's hard living the glamorous life...but I make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment