Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up the Dull Day: Part 2


As I look back on this month I kind of started realizing all the things I’ve left behind and the surprising ease in which I was able to adapt. For those of you who don't know this about me: change and I are bitter enemies. Here are some of the changes in my life and things that I was so used to but no longer have:
1.       Iced tea – This may not sound like much to anyone but I went through gallons of this stuff at home. It’s bad enough that with any group of friends I have, if I show up late for dinner at a restaurant they’ve usually already ordered it for me. It was a staple in my life that just suddenly disappeared…and honestly…I don’t really miss it. I have to drink so much water just to stay hydrated that good old h2o has become my new staple. Actually, come to think of it, I’m not sure I’ve seen a single cube of ice since I’ve been in Afghanistan. Everything is just refrigerated.
2.       Driving – I went from driving a minimum of 500 miles per week to not driving at all for an entire month. I haven’t actually been in a motor vehicle in over 2 weeks…I don’t miss that at all. I especially don’t miss having to go to the gas station. I also don’t miss the 20 lbs I’ve lost from all the walking.
3.       My own room – Fortunately for me, there are only 4 or 5 guys in my tent and none of them snore. That was a relief. I’ve never had to share a room with anyone for more than the length of church camp. The biggest adjustment for me is remembering that everyone is on a different sleep schedule so there are people getting up at all different times. All in all though, it’s not so bad.
4.       Video games – That’s right…no Mario, Star Craft, Modern Warfare, etc. I do miss that, if for no other reason than it can get very boring here sometimes. I do have to admit though that I downloaded Plants vs Zombies...
5.       Bathrooms being in the same building as my bed – That pretty much sums it up…if I need to use the bathroom or brush my teeth or shower or something after about 7pm it requires shoes and a flashlight. I also have to keep my shoes on in the shower…which is just weird.  This is probably what I’m looking forward to most as far as tangibles go when I come home…not having mess with this.
6.       Spending money – Seriously…I like to spend money. I like to go out and do stuff and buy little things I don’t need all the time. In the last month I’ve spent less than $200 total and most of that was on things like towels and a blanket and stuff that I needed but didn’t have room to pack. Food is free, laundry is free, the gym is free…the only bill I have is internet. And I really don’t have the space to store all the kinds of crap I’d normally blow my money on. I’m hoping I can maybe make this somewhat of a habit when I come back.
7.       People – this is the hardest one for me. At home I was going out 4 or 5 nights a week sometimes or at least going to someone’s house or having someone over to mine whether that be friends or family. I guess, technically, I have people at my house every night right now but it’s not quite the same.  I’ll end this saying that the hardest part about being over here is not having you guys. I’m not exactly the most outgoing person with people I don’t know (which is not to say that I haven’t made any friends or anything…but it’s not the same).  I miss you all a lot, and really am looking forward to my vacation in 5 – 6 months when I can see you all. So, until next time…

1 comment:

  1. so glad to hear how things are going!! miss you too and pray for you often! :) things will pick up soon and you will be busy enough that this list wont bother you near as much :)

    ReplyDelete