Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up the Dull Day: Part 1


So I typed this whole thing out in MS Word (as is my custom on these sorts of things) and the word counter thing at the bottom says is over 1200 words. I think that’s a bit excessive so I’m breaking it into 2 parts. This my friends, family, stalkers, and people who meant to go to coleellis.blogspot.com but mistyped the URL is part one. Well, I’ve been here for 1 full month (OK, I will have been away from home for a month at the end of today) and let me tell ya…it feels like it. My job hasn’t actually started yet so for the last 2 weeks I’ve basically been trying to find stuff to do. I’m going into what will eventually be my job to “observe” but it usually involves me just sitting there waiting out the clock because there just isn’t anything I can do (or there isn’t anything they’ll let me do…I haven’t figured out which it is yet).  I’ve worked myself into a pretty good routine that helps time go by a bit better.  I wake up around 11 – noon and turn on the laptop. I have set aside this time as “beard growing time”. During this time I’m just pretty lazy, check emails and facebook, read, listen to audio books or music, etc. Generally just relaxing and letting my body focus on growing the best mane possible. At around 3 I take care of any errands I need (ie checking mail, turning in/picking up laundry, etc). Everything closes at 4 so this is pretty much a necessity. If there’s time after I’m done then I resume my beard time. At 5 I go to dinner and eat. This is a treat because the DFAC actually has some Dr. Pepper if you get there early enough. After dinner I then retire to the parlor (aka: my bunk) and study. I’m dedicated to doing 1 section of the book I’m reading a day (today I got to relearn all about variable length subnet masking and route summarization (if you fell asleep just reading that then you made the appropriate response)).  This can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours depending on the length of the section and the complexity of the material. At 9:30 I’ve started going to the gym. My body is pretty well pissed at me for this. It is screaming in protest every second of every day since I’ve started…but I’m choosing to ignore that…So that lasts until about 11:15 or 11:30. I come back and change and then go to midnight chow. Midnight chow is awesome because it affords me some truly unique experiences in the culinary field. Example: Last night I had a salad consisting of lettuce, jalapenos, cheese, and salsa; chicken "spring rolls"; 2 boiled eggs, mashed potatoes, and root beer with a cliff bar for dessert. After that I go back and do some more reading or emails and then try to be asleep by 2 or 3. I don’t know if I’m going to be night shift or day shift yet so I’m trying to keep my sleep schedule somewhere in the middle of the 2 so either way it won’t be a bad transition.  Well, that about wraps up part 1. Stay tuned next time where you’ll read Colt saying things like “…and so the porcupine bat said that he’s never even seen Cincinnati…” and “...toast can be useful as many different things: a snack, at snake repellant, a floatation device, a ninja weapon, a boomarang, a….”

No comments:

Post a Comment